These are a yummy treat! I’ve been trialing baking recipes to find a few tasty vegan and Paleo options for Christmas. These Coconut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies qualify and this recipe makes delicious, rich macaroons! They are super crunchy with a jam filling. Normally I prefer chewy cookies, but this one surprised me. I quite enjoy them. This recipe is from theurbanposer. I found that the cookies keep for a week in the fridge with no filling – we just added the jam before serving.
If you have a favorite Paleo Christmas baking recipe – please do share!
- 1 3/4 c shredded organic coconut
- 3 TBSP Fair Trade organic cocoa powder
- 3 TBSP honey or maple syrup
- 2 TBSP full fat coconut milk (I omitted this and was happy with the results, but will try it next time)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 c of your fav jam (we love Crofter’s Organic Just Fruit Spreads)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, cocoa and salt. Then add the liquid ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Spoon the cookie batter onto the parchment paper. Now it gets messy. Shape the cookies by holding the perimeter together with your fingers while you press your thumb into the middle to create an indent. This part was rather sticky and I was skeptical it would work, but just wait, goodness will prevail when baked!
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before removing them from the tray. They will be delicate and crumbly until fully cooled, then they hold their form well.
- Spoon jam into the thumbprint and serve!