Citrus and spice and something nice. This all-in-one meal of Peruvian Inspired Chicken and Vegetables is delicious. It’s spicy – not hot spicy but flavor-filled spicy. A nice change from the usual. Crispy spiced chicken on a bed of tender and lemony sweet potatoes, onions and peppers. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I actually made 4 of these at once – two to bake immediately and two to freeze for an easy supper. I highly recommend this recipe if you like to make meals ahead. I prepped all four in under an hour. This recipe is adapted from Danielle Walker.
- 1 tsp organic avocado or olive oil
- 3 minced organic garlic cloves
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 very large organic sweet potato (or a few to make up the equivalent)
- 2 medium organic sweet onions, cut into sixths
- 2 organic bell peppers, seeded and chopped into large pieces
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 2 tsp organic olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 organic lemon, sliced
- 1/4 c organic cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- 2-3 chicken thighs or drumsticks per person, depending on your preference
- Preheat your oven to 425 F (unless you are make four at once, then wait a while).
- Combine all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl and toss with oil, lemon juice, garlic sea salt and pepper to coat evenly. Then place them in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Combine all of the rub ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces and then generously slather them in that delicious rub. Arrange the chicken pieces skin side down on top of the vegetables. Top the chicken with lemon slices.
- Then, if you are going to use this as a freezer meal, cover well with plastic wrap and a layer of tin foil and freeze. Thaw in the fridge 24 hours in advance of baking and follow the same baking directions.
- Place the dish in the oven, uncovered, and roast for 20 minutes. Then flip the chicken over, give the veggies a quick stir and return the whole lot to the oven for another 25-30 minutes. Once the chicken is nice and crispy and the veggies are tender, supper is ready!
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.