It’s a chilly Friday, a good day for a thick knit sweater and something hot and delicious. Hmmm, how about some comfort food – Broccoli and Walnut Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. This recipe is delicious AND it’s a freezer-friendly meal. It’s perfect to prep ahead and then heat up for supper when you get home from work. Adapted from a recipe by Hallie on Daily Bites.
- 4-5 medium organic sweet potatoes
- Olive or avocado oil
- Sprinkling of sea salt
- 1 head of organic broccoli
- 1/4 c cranberries, sliced in half (you can also use dried cranberries)
- 1/3 c walnut pieces
- 1 TBSP organic coconut oil
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp organic dried onion flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or rasped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet in parchment paper. Wash the sweet potatoes, pat dry and lightly coat with avocado oil and a sprinkling of sea salt. Prick them all over with a sharp knife tip and space the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Let them cool.
- The sweet potato skins will be more fragile to work with than a potato, so carefully remove a piece of skin on the top and scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a bowl, leaving a thin wall of sweet potato inside.
- Mix the coconut oil into the sweet potato filling. Lightly toast the walnuts on medium heat in a cast iron pan, and then add to the sweet potato filling
- Chop up the washed broccoli and cranberries, then add them to the sweet potato filling. Measure in your spices. Thoroughly mix.
- Stuff the sweet potatoes with this delicious filling. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you would like to freeze them, cool completely once stuffed. Freeze tightly covered. When you are ready to partake in Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, thaw them in the fridge for a full 18-24 hours and then bake on parchment, lightly covered in parchment for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees.