Happy Foodie Friday! I think I can finally admit fall is here, now that most of the leaves have blown off the trees. Looks like we have another lovely weekend ahead of us. Perfect for getting out in the yard, finishing harvesting, and cleaning up the garden. I was astonished yesterday when the neighborhood kids appeared at the door with raspberries fresh off a bush in the alley! In October! Pretty amazing.
Today’s recipe is a great one – you can prep it and pop it in the oven for an hour and come inside to a tasty meal. I tossed veggies in a bit of oil, sea salt and pepper and roasted them in the oven at the same time as the Baked Coconut Chicken to make a complete meal. It has a delicious and crispy coconut outside and the meat is tender and juicy inside.
This recipe is from our Wellness Lifestyle Plan by Wellness and Prevention Solutions. I appreciate its holistic approach that focuses on eating well, thinking well and moving well. If you are curious, feel free to ask us about it next time you are in the office. You can also check out an interview with a participant who completed the program here .
- 1/4 c melted organic coconut oil or organic butter (grass fed preferable)
- 2 lbs. of organic free range chicken – I used chicken breast but chicken thighs would also be delicious!
- 1/2 c organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 c organic almond flour (If you are struggling to find this try Bulk Barn. Some Costco locations also carry it.)
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the shredded coconut, almond flour and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter in a small pot on the stove.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the melted oil or butter and then coat in the coconut and almond mixture and place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle the remaining butter or oil on top.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes.