Foodie Friday – AMAZING Lasagna – Dairy and Grain Free
I made this amazing lasagna last night with eggplant and zucchini instead of noodles, Italian sausage tomato sauce and cashew cheese and let me tell you … winner! So flavorful and delicious! I will be making this again. It is chock full of veggies and tastes superb.
Italian Sausage Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 higher welfare organic Italian Sausages (mild or spicy, your pick!)
- 1 – 760ml can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 c organic leeks, sliced
- 1.5 tsp organic rosemary
- 2 tbsp organic basil
- 1/2 tsp organic pepper
- 1 clove organic garlic, crushed and chopped
Cashew Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 c cashews (I used roasted as I could not find raw … if you find raw, you will need to soak them 2hrs – overnight before using)
- 1 c sliced organic carrots
- 2/3 c water
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 2 TBSP fresh organic lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp organic oregano
- 1/2 tsp organic paprika
- 1 tsp dehydrated organic onion pieces
- 1 tsp organic cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
Vegetable “Noodle” Ingredients:
- 2 medium organic eggplants
- 2 small organic zucchinis
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a saucepan on medium heat and add the sausage meat, removing from casing, to cook. Meanwhile, slice the eggplants into quarter inch thick rounds and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- As the sausage and eggplant is cooking/baking, keep an eye on the sausage, and make the cashew cheese. Put a small pot of water on to boil and add 1 cup of sliced carrots. Boil for 5 minutes and drain. While the carrots are cooking, add the rest of the ingredients to a high power blender like a Vitamix or Blentec. When the carrots are cooked, add them to the blender as well and blend until silky smooth. Voila, a delicious cheese sauce for layering.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven to cool. Add the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients to the saucepan and simmer to let the flavors develop. Then slice up the zucchinis into rounds.
- Lightly coat the lasagna baking dish with oil, and then add a layer of eggplant, followed by tomato sauce, zucchini, cashew cheese and repeat, finishing by topping the lasagna with tomato sauce.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes at 425 degrees. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it rest 10 minutes.
Plate and enjoy! This recipe serves four.
Adapted from Angela Liddon’s Life Affirming Nacho Dip and Layered Eggplant Casserole.