Foodie Friday – Baked Falafel Lettuce Wraps
These yummy Baked Falafel Lettuce Wraps are packed with fresh veggies and herbs. Enjoy the satisfying crunch of lettuce and falafel with hummus, pickle, fresh Israeli salad and Zesty Tahini Lemon Sauce. This meal is easy to prepare, and leaves you feeling satisfied and energized.
Baked Falafel Ingredients
- 2 cloves of organic garlic
- 1/2 c organic red onion
- 1/3 c organic packed fresh parsley
- 1/3 c organic packed fresh cilantro
- 1 can of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 TBSP ground organic flax seed
- 1 tsp organic cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp organic coriander
- 1/4 tsp organic black pepper
- pinch of organic cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp grey sea salt
Israeli Salad Ingredients:
- 1 clove organic garlic
- 2 large organic tomatoes, seeded
- 1/4 c organic fresh packed cilantro
- 1/4 c organic fresh packed parsley
- 1/4 c organic fresh packed mint (optional)
- 1/2 c organic cucumber, diced
- 2 organic green onions, sliced
- 1 TBSP organic fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp organic olive oil
- Sea salt
- organic lettuce leaves
- dill pickles or dilly pickled beans (optional)
- hummus (optional)
Zesty Tahini Lemon Sauce
- 1 small organic garlic clove
- 1/4 c tahini (this is a sesame paste you can buy at the grocery store – Superstore has it)
- 1/4 c organic fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBSP organic olive oil
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 TBSP water
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Let’s start with getting those tasty falafels in the oven! Place the garlic, onion, cilantro and parsley in a food processor and combine. Add the chickpeas and pulse until well combined but still full of texture. Remove the falafel mix from the food processor and place in a bowl. Add the spices and flax and stir to combine.
- Form small patties with your hands using about 1 TBSP of the mix per falafel. Place on the baking tray. Bake 15 minutes until crispy on the bottom. Flip the falafels and bake 15 more minutes.
- Moving on to the Israeli salad! Place garlic, tomatoes, parsley, mint & cilantro in the food processor and pulse until combined. Place the mixture in a bowl and add diced cucumber, sliced green onions, the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Now for the Zesty Tahini Lemon Sauce. In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Generously fill washed lettuce leaves with hummus, salad, falafels, pickles and Zesty Tahini Lemon Sauce and enjoy your masterpiece!
To your good health!