Foodie Friday – Bulgogi Lettuce Boats
These Bulgogi Lettuce Boats are a simple and delicious supper that’s super quick after work when you are short on time. Just make sure to thaw your meat ahead of time. It’s a spin on bulgogi (Korean grilled beef) that is delicious and full of flavor. If you like, add fillings of roasted cauliflower rice, fresh cilantro and carrot and cucumber spears to the table. Voila! Tasty and healthy supper in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 head of organic lettuce
- 1 lb. organic grass-fed ground beef or bison
- 4 1/2 TBSP Coconut Sauce (this is a soy sauce alternative made from coconut sap and is available at Bulk Barn)
- 2 TBSP Toasted Sesame Oil (make sure it’s toasted for that lovely rich flavour)
- 2 TBSP Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp gochugaru (coarse Korean hot pepper flakes) or crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 2 organic green onions, sliced
- Cook the ground beef or bison and garlic in a skillet on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- While the meat is cooking, separate, wash and dry the lettuce leaves to use as boats and wash and slice the green onions.
- When the meat is thoroughly cooked, turn it down to low heat and add the sesame oil, coconut sauce and black pepper and stir in.
- Fill lettuce boats with bulgogi and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Serve and enjoy!