Foodie Friday – “Cheesy” Vegetable Soup
Every time I make it I prepare a double batch so I can freeze one batch in lunch sized containers. It is wonderful with Rainy Day Biscuits (gluten free) which have been posted on the blog already.
Adapted from Angela Liddon’s fantastic soup recipe.
Let us know what you think!
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 – 3 cups chopped organic onion
- 3 large organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping cup of chopped organic carrots – I don’t peel these, just wash and use organic everything
- 6c packed cups of organic broccoli (I also peel the stems and slice them in a food processor)
- 2 cups chopped organic sweet potato
- 2 cups of organic zucchini – I don’t peel it
- 6 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast – can buy at Bulk Barn
- ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
For Serving: toasted Pepita seeds, a pinch of cinnamon or smoked paprika
- Grab a very large pot and heat the oil.
- Use a food processor to quickly chop the onion. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes. Season salt and pepper.
- I put on the slicing blade and put through the carrots, celery, and peeled broccoli stems, adding them to the pot. Stir every once and a while so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Cover the pot and saute the vegetables for another 4 – 5 minutes, reducing heat if necessary.
- Add the broth. Bring the soup just to a boil, then reduce the heat to low/medium and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from the element and allow to cool slightly, lid off. Blend with an immersion blender. Add in the nutritional yeast, cayenne, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with toasted pumpkin or Pepita seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon or smoked paprika
- Put leftovers into jars or glass containers and allow to cool before securing the lid and putting in the fridge or freezer. It should stay fresh for a few days in the fridge and is excellent as a freezer meal.