Foodie Friday – Loaded BBQ Sweet Potatoes
Last night Kathy introduced me to these fabulous Loaded BBQ Sweet Potatoes. Delicious! Paired with a spinach salad and vinaigrette, it was the perfect combination of warm and filling and fresh. You can’t go wrong with loaded sweet potatoes as a fall supper. After Thanksgiving weekend, this would be a great recipe to use with turkey leftovers. Stay tuned next week for the sugar free BBQ Sauce and Sriracha Mayo recipes! This recipe is adapted from The Paleo Kitchen.
- 4 organic sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 1/2c shredded organic chicken (or leftover thanksgiving turkey)
- 1/2 c BBQ sauce
- 1/3 c shredded organic carrots
- 1/3 c shredded organic cabbage
- 1/4 c chopped organic red onion
- 1/3 c sriracha mayo
- 1/8 tsp celery seeds
- 2 chopped organic green onions
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. While the oven is heating, wash and dry the sweet potatoes and prick them all over with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. Mix together the chicken or turkey and tangy BBQ sauce until thoroughly combined.
- Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and add 1/4 c of the BBQ chicken mixture to each half. Bake another 10 minutes until piping hot!
- As the loaded sweet potatoes bake, combine the cabbage, carrot, onion, mayo and celery seeds in a small bowl.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, top each one with 1/4 c of coleslaw mixture and garnish with green onion. Season with sea salt and pepper to your preference.
Enjoy! Serves 2-4.