Foodie Friday – Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup
I love the flavorful & textural composition of this soup. It is delicious, and just the right amount of spicy. Full of veggies, beans and chicken, you will love the medley of flavors with creamy avocado and crunchy tortilla chips on top. This is a great make-ahead recipe, is easy to put together, and fun for kids since they get to add their own toppings. I adapted it from Jenny Stinton’s Chicken Tortilla Soup. The tortilla chips and vegan cheese are a nice treat to enjoy once in a while. Enjoy a warm bowl of Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup this weekend!
- 4 organic chicken breasts or meaty chicken thighs
- 2 TBSP organic olive oil
- 3 organic garlic cloves
- 4 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups organic diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups organic medium heat salsa
- 3/4 cup organic chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup organic canned black or pinto beans
- Organic blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 organic avocados
- Daiya cheddar cheese (dairy free) or organic cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a cast iron pan to medium-high with 1 TBSP olive oil. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the hot pan and sear, 2 minutes each side. Place the cast iron pan in the oven and bake chicken until cooked through. Shred the chicken when cooled to touch, then add it to the soup.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil to medium high, and add the minced garlic. Sauté 2 minutes, then add the chicken or vegetable broth, tomatoes, salsa and cilantro. Simmer on low for minimum of one hour to four hours, stirring occasionally.
- Ten minutes before serving, add the beans to the soup to heat them through. Dice the avocados, grate the cheese and place the avocados, cheese and tortilla chips in serving bowls on the tables.
- Serve piping hot with crumbled chips, avocado and a generous sprinkling of cheese.