Foodie Friday – Summery French Bean Salad
I made this simple, flavourful salad last night for a family BBQ and it was a hit! I enjoy the mustardy zing mixed with the citrus of lemon, fresh chives from my garden and did I mention capers? It’s a delicious accompaniment to a summer meal of burgers, steak, or barbequed chicken. I was especially delighted to cut my first fresh herbs of the season for this meal. This salad is so tasty that it took a lot of self-control to not devour it before the gathering. I will be making this again soon!
- 4 large handfuls of French beans (I used a large prepackaged bag of beans from Costco that comes prepped – bonus! Though the bigger bonus will be when beans are ready from local farms!)
- 2 heaping tsp ground mustard powder
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 2 TBSP chives, freshly cut
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 4 TBSP avocado oil (or another oil of your choice)
- 1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 TBSP capers
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Wash the beans and cut the stem ends off, leaving the wispy ends. Put a pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients except the capers and the chives to make the dressing, seasoning with sea salt and pepper to your liking. Shaking it up in a mason jar also works wonderfully. Then, cut a small handful of chives from your plant, removing any dried bits, wash and snip into small pieces.
- Add the beans to the boiling water and boil 4-5 minutes. Immediately strain the beans and toss with the dressing, capers and chives. The beans will soak up the dressing while hot, taking on a delightful flavour.
Serve this delectable salad warm on its own or as a delicious side!