Foodie Friday – Zucchini Pasta with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto and Chorizo
Crunchy warm veggie noodles, pesto rich with the fullness of sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil, a spicy kick from chorizo … mmm. This meal comes together in 30 minutes and is healthy and tasty. My husband gave it two thumbs up. If you would prefer, you can omit the chorizo and grill a chicken breast. I love quick and easy suppers like this one that can be put together on the fly. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 medium organic zucchinis
- 1 package of higher welfare chorizo sausages (I recommend the sausages from TK Ranch) or an organic chicken breast
- 1 very generous fist full of fresh organic basil
- 8 organic sun dried tomatoes
- 1 clove of organic garlic (optional)
- 1/4 c organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c organic walnuts or pine nuts
- Water as needed
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium and cook the chorizo sausages, turning every few minutes until nicely browned on all sides. Then turn down heat and cook through. Slice and let the sausage stay warm in the pan.
- While the sausages are cooking, prepare zucchini noodles by washing the zucchini, slicing off the stem and centering it on the spiralizer, using the smallest blade attachment. Churn out noodles from both zucchinis, gathering them in a bowl, and set aside.
- Place the basil in a food processor, and process until fine. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the desired consistency. Add water as needed – I usually add between 2 TBSP to 1/4 of a cup. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Add the zucchini to the sausage pan and heat up briefly, for 3 minutes no longer. If you end up cooking the noodles, they will lose water and make your dish a bit watery. So just give them a quick flash of heat.
- Toss the zucchini noodles, sausage and pesto in a large bowl.
Serve and enjoy! Serves 2.