Loaded Asian Salad Topped with Seared Beef
You are in for a seriously delicious meal. This is a household favourite, inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe. A beautiful and abundant display of vegetables topped with seared beef and the most amazing ginger dressing. It is fresh, satisfying and fills your senses with incredible flavour. I have served it with kelp noodles, rice noodles or with quinoa, but do find it quite filling on its own as well. Feel free to experiment with the vegetables you include. I make a different variation of this nearly every time depending on what suits my taste. This recipe serves four.
- A large bed of greens equivalent to a head of romaine lettuce (arugula, spinach or romaine)
- 1/2 c cashews
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp organic spring onions or chives, finely chopped
- 3 small organic yellow or red peppers, sliced in rounds
- 1 organic cucumber, julienned or spiralized
- 1 large organic carrot, grated
- A couple handfuls of organic sugar snap peas, chopped in thirds
- 1 1/2 c organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- Organic flat leaf parsley, cilantro, basil or mint or a combination of these.
- 1 organic grass-fed rump steak, fat removed
- 2 tsp Five-Spice
- Sea salt
- Organic olive oil
Ginger Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari, coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- Toast the cashews and sesame seeds in a cast iron pan, tossing until golden. Then place them in a serving dish or bowl.
- Drizzle the steak in olive oil and rub in the five-spice along with sea salt and pepper.
- Prepare the vegetables starting with the top of the list and then pile them into a lovely array on a serving platter or board as you go. If you choose to prepare rice noodles or use kelp noodles, arrange these on top afterwards. Scatter the cashews and sesame seeds across the salad.
- Bring a cast iron pan to high heat and turn down to medium high. Sear the steak, turning after each minute until done to your liking. Place it on a cutting board to rest.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together in a small serving vessel.
- Thinly slice the steak and add it to the top of the salad, adding all of the resting juices.
Serve with the dressing on the side and enjoy!