Paleo Bison Lasagna
Another favorite in our house, this grain and dairy free “Lasagna” is delicious!
- 2 pounds ground grass fed bison or beef
- 1 butternut squash or 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 small jar chopped sundried tomatoes
- 740ml jar pasta sauce
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice butternut squash or sweet potatoes into long, thin strips (kind of resembling lasagne noodles).
- Put a frying pan onto medium heat and add the coconut oil (or whichever cooking oil you prefer.)
- Dice the onion and garlic and add to pan.
- Once onion and garlic are browned a bit, add the ground bison/beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink and then take off the heat.
- In a bowl, combine the pasta sauce, the jar of sundried tomatoes (along with the oil they are packed in), a handful of chopped basil, and the olive oil. Pour the contents of the bowl into the pan and mix with the cooked meat/onions/garlic.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and spread a little bit of the meat filling on the bottom. Lay down one layer of “noodles” and spoon in about half the filling, spreading evenly. Lay down another layer of noodles and layer the remaining filling. Place the final layer of noodles on top (I usually save a little bit of the meat filling to spread on the very top).
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until “noodles” are soft. Its best to let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes after it comes out of oven, as it will set and stay more in a lasagne shape when cut. Happy eating!